Multifamily X Missouri

Tarlton completes $28 million renovation of Shriners Hospital in St. Louis

Tarlton completes $28 million renovation of Shriners Hospital in St. Louis,ph01

Tarlton Corp., a St. Louis-based general contracting and construction management firm, completed the $28 million historic renovation of buildings that formerly housed Shriners Hospital for Children and Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis’ Central West End into The Core Apartment Residences.

Tarlton served as general contractor on the project that transformed two adjacent buildings – Shriners Hospital at 700-728 S. Euclid Ave. and CID at 818 S. Euclid Ave. – into 160 rental apartments that share amenity spaces, including common kitchens and a large community room, as well as a game room, music practice space, media lounge and fitness center. BOBB, LLC was the developer for the project.

The mix of units includes studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments. The scope of work included restoring the existing masonry facade, window repair or replacement, installation of new mechanicals, plumbing, electrical systems and fire protection, paving and landscaping. The new residential development offers a convenient central location to students on the medical campuses of Washington University and BJC HealthCare and the nearby St. Louis College of Pharmacy, as well as people working in the Cortex Innovation Community.

The Shriners and CID buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The two buildings opened within a decade of each other, and each was designed in the Renaissance Revival style by renowned St. Louis architect William B. Ittner. The three-story, 77,671-square-foot Shriners building, which opened in 1924, was the largest facility in a national network of free hospitals created by The Shriners fraternal society to treat disabled children. Central Institute for the Deaf, founded by Dr. Max Aaron Goldstein, opened in 1929 as a school for deaf children and to train teachers in deaf education. The four-story CID building totals 51,207 square feet.

The Tarlton team included Matthew Pfund, project executive; Joe Scarfino, project director; Chris Kaintz, project manager; Sarah Mangapora, senior project engineer; Mack Waggoner, project engineer; and Jeff Peterson and Steve Moore, project superintendents. Lawrence Group was the project architect.