Saint Luke’s Manor, a seniors housing and office facility owned by developer and property manager Pennrose in Cleveland, recently won the National Trust/HUD Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation during the National Preservation Awards ceremony in Spokane, Wash.
Saint Luke’s Manor, previously known as St. Luke’s Hospital, is a 390,000-square-foot building in downtown Cleveland built in 1927 and 1929. The hospital was vacated in 1999 and placed on the National Historic Register in 2005.
After sitting vacant for 12 years, Neighborhood Progress, Inc. and Pennrose reconstructed the building in 2011 and 2012 into 137 units of low-income rental housing for seniors and office space for local non-profit organizations.
Saint Luke’s Manor is the landmark structure anchoring The Buckeye Neighborhood Plan, a 20-acre revitalization effort including a new public library, elementary school, market-rate homeownership units and a renovated Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority train station.
“Thanks to this innovative public-private partnership, Saint Luke’s is once again serving as a vital center of community life in Cleveland,” said Stephanie Meeks, president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The City of Cleveland, the Ohio Housing Finance Agency, the Ohio Department of Development, Enterprise Community Investment and PNC Bank funded the project with assistance from low-income and federal and state historic tax credits.
© 2013 Real Estate Communications Group. Duplication or reproduction of this article not permitted without authorization from the Real Estate Publishing Group. For information on reprint or electronic pdf of this article contact Mark Menzies at 312-644-4610 or email@example.com